Transitioning from an individual contributor to a supervisor is not easy. Often, people with strong technical skills are promoted to a leadership role only to find that the skills that made them successful in their old position are vastly different from what is needed to successfully lead others.
Research has shown that major challenges new supervisors face, include:
- Making the switch from doing work to getting work done through others
- Expanding one’s ability to build and maintain relationships
- Becoming accustomed to playing multiple roles
- Feeling more pressure but having less direct control over results
- Feeling alone
Effective frontline leaders communicate and operationalize an organization’s vision; they motivate and bolster the morale of the people who deliver services to the customers. Frontline leaders play a critical role in employee retention and engagement, customer satisfaction, and productivity.
The Frontline Leadership Certificate is ideal for new or experienced frontline leaders and supervisors or individuals preparing for a leadership role. You will leave this certificate program with a strong foundation in the knowledge and skills needed to become a high-performing frontline leader.
Courses are listed in recommended sequence; however, you may take them in any order. There are no pre-requisites. All of the courses will be offered twice per year. You have two years from the date of your first class to complete the certificate.
Frontline Leadership Courses (30 contact hours)
- Foundations of Frontline Leadership (6 hours) – $349
- Communication and Conflict (6 hours) – $349
- Business Acumen (6 hours) – $349
- Building Influence and Managing Performance (6 hours) – $349
- Building Effective Teams (6 hours) – $349
Who should attend: Team leaders, managers, lead workers, group leaders, supervisors, aspiring leaders
Frontline Leadership Graduating Class of 2016
Left to right: Kevin Morrison, AAR; Jay Knute, UMD; Jody O’Conner, UMD; Clint Abernathey, Duluth Cleaning.
Frontline Leadership Graduating Class in February 2017
JoAnne Brock, Senior Safety Engineer, 3M, Cumberland, WI
Videos from our facilitators:
Customized training: Courses can be tailored to meet your needs and brought onsite to your location. Visit customized training or call 218/726-6819 for more information.